I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Mother Memory #6

While I was in 6th grade, my father had to go to D.C. for some conference thing that would last a couple of days. Mom was going with him. As my brother was still under 2 years at the time, he was going along with them. As was I. I really don't have any clue why. Memory tells me that Mom said something about "wanting my help." Honestly? Me? Why didn't they pick one of the other kids, particularly my more capable sister? It will never make sense to me why I was the other child picked to go along, but I will be forever grateful.

It was one of the most fun, interesting, and exciting vacations I have ever taken. I was taken out of school for 3 days. We drove to get to and from. We stayed at a hotel that completely wowed me, but not quite as much as the underground world I was introduced to. Shops underground! Including a bookstore! I was mesmerized. While Dad was in his conferences during the day, Mom, little brother, and I played tourists. We tried to squeeze so much in during that short time. I found it all so interesting and, um, WOW. And I loved being able to help with the stroller and anything else Mom asked me to help with. In the evenings, I stayed with my brother while Mom and Dad went out.

Our final stop on our last day was the LDS temple. It is the first time in my memory that I ever saw this edifice. What an indelible impression it left on me. I had long wanted to see it. Even then I knew of its importance, but I didn't yet know just how much.

There were so many things from this trip, this memory, that could be looked at. Mom wanting to show me historical places like Mount Vernon. Mom wanting to show me things of my nation's capital like the many monuments. Mom allowing me for a little bit of worldly fun that we did not have at home (I watched the Disney channel in the mornings and we had room service!) Mom wanting to take me to the temple. Mom allowing me to help her. So, so much. It was wonderful. But I think what was the most wonderful was all of that time--uninterrupted by school, church responsibilities, or other siblings (minus my baby brother)--that I got to spend with her.

Just Mom and Me.

No comments: