I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother Memory #2

In a family of 6 boys and just 2 girls, the males dominated our home. Not in an unrighteous way. Just, I have noticed in looking back that many things were deferred to what the males preferred. For example, certain subjects they didn't want to talk of, listen to, or be anywhere near. So "those subjects" were not talked of. You know. Girl stuff. Well, once in a while my sister and I might speak of it in our room. But not all that often. Indeed, it took me so long among female roommates at college to get "used" to talking of some subjects so freely. I think I still feel a bit embarrassed and in the wrong when it comes up. But particularly if any male is present. They don't want to hear about it if they can help it--and I don't blame them.

Anywho. My mother is very proper. I hold propriety very highly, and I think I got that from Mom. So you can guess and you'd be right that "those subjects" were not often talked of by my mother. And I felt it too awkward to bring them up...unless absolutely, unavoidably necessary--which are different memories and ones too special and sacred to share.

In high school, we had some church friends from another ward come and stay at our home for a few days during our All-State final practices. The girl and I were riding in the car with Mom when the girl brought up one of "those subjects" without even batting an eye! And shock of all shocks--my mother joined in! It was one of the funniest conversations I have ever been part of, as well as one that was very honest, simple, and, well, human. My mother seemed more real and relatable to me after that conversation.

But there's just something about laughter among surprise and slight blushes which seal that as a prominent memory.

No comments: