I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

A Glorious Name...and Person

Day 129

It is the Day of Days when we celebrate the moms in our lives. Today, I tried to extend a little and reach out to some of the mothers "in my life" whom I've not really reached out to before. It made the day a little more special for me. It also made it a little easier because--as this was one very hard week to be the one that led up to the annual Mother's Day celebration--it helped me look at different things and in different ways that I would not have normally looked at or thought about.

But, of course, the majority of this day's honor went to my own dear, wonderful, amazing mother. I did so many things to keep her on my mind, remind me of "the little things," and honor the memories I have of her. And, being me, you can count on some of them being odd things.

-I used my special eggnog shower gel, because my mother always had eggnog ("Christmas milk") when I was growing up.

-I pulled out the wispy strands at my hairline and using a little bit of water--Voila! Insta-curls! When I was very young, Mom would often get my hair wet, wind it around her fingers, and let go to ringlets abounding all over my head. Yeah. I was cutie. I was completely fine with having cutesy curls framing my face, because they made me think of Mom. (And heaven help me but occasionally I do like the cute look! How...?!?!)

-I wore my Easter dress. It always reminds me of the little purple dress Mom made for me when I was 3 or 4 (and around Easter, I think). The dress also reminds me of the countless times Mom would dress her "Doll Baby." I exuded cuteness today--all in the name of Mother. And she laughed when I told her.

-I brought frosted mini-wheats as my snack at Church. I gave all but one to my friend who really needed some food, but the cereal (as well as Kix) makes me think of Mom.

-I sang in a musical number. It was a 3-song medley. One of the songs ("Love is Spoken Here") was my first public musical performance that did not involve more than 10 people. In fact, it was a duet with my sister. (I got "the guy's part" of course--but it is one of my favorite parts and was the part the women sang today.) Ward Talent Show. I remember practicing a few times before the actual night. And I had a sense even then that my mother was proud of us. I don't think any of us had any idea how much more my sister and I would give to Mom (and Dad, too!) to be proud of where the singing is concerned. Anyway. The practicing and performing of that song often brings my mother to my thoughts, so I was happy that was one of the songs in the medley. And, as I sang it, I thought of my mother and it made the musical number a completely different piece.

-We're studying Old Testament in Sunday School. Mom not only taught me the scriptures as I grew up, but she was my teacher for that particular work of scripture in Seminary. No one, yet, has been able to top her in teaching it well and interestingly, and helping me learn new things. Every time I crack open the Bible to the Old Testament, I remember my mother as I read the words and think on the lessons and principles.

-I last minute had to teach Relief Society. The topic was on prayer. Mom taught me well about prayer. And the "I see my mother kneeling" of the previously mentioned song was always one I knew to be true in my home. And we covered the scripture Moroni 10:3-5--one of the greatest lessons my mother ever taught me, and I don't think she realizes the huge impact that lesson has had on my entire life.

-I looked over various Primary songs, and thought on my mother.

-I sang on the way home, wishing Mom could hear me. Bet she wishes that, too!

-I drink my Kangen water. Every time I drink that water, I think of how much my mother (and father) love me so much to have brought it into my life. I think of how much it has blessed my mother's life and helped with her health. Others see water, maybe even "weird water" or "my water." But it is more to me. It is one more physical manifestation of the love, concern, care, mindfulness, and nurturing that my mom and dad have for me.

-Along with the Kangen water, they have introduced living water in my life. And as I spent this whole day in studying more of the Gospel and renewing covenants that are a part of that Gospel and this Church, I don't think there is any greater reminder of my mother and father, and blessing they could have given to me. Well, aside from my physical, temporal life.

I know. This post was to be about my mother. But even Mom would agree that she's not Mom without Dad. They are sealed into one whole unit. They are me. I am them. Life is, because they are. I'm grateful for their complementing differences, and for the relationships I have with them.

And today, I am so grateful that I am my mother's daughter.

In further honor of my mother, this coming week's posts will be dedicated to Mom and some of my memories of her.

3 comments:

SuburbiaMom said...

She is a great mom, I heartily agree!

Ramona Zabriskie said...

This was written so cleverly - so beautifully! And it is SO true. All things testify of our mothers!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Very nice!! Love it girl!