I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Great are the Words of Isaiah"

Day 290

For years--since BYU days--I have wanted to study Isaiah better. But it seemed intimidating, of course. And I have always been trying to fit in other scripture and Gospel studies. There's so much! I wasn't sure what time I could devote, or just exactly how I would go about it. I considered putting it on my Whatever Wednesdays, but right now I feel to focus that one on more study of Preach My Gospel and reading recent Conference talks.

My chance has come with the last two weeks (and the next 2 or 3) of studying Isaiah in Sunday School. Granted, the reading assignments don't require us to read every single chapter. I looked at this as one way to get my feet wet. To start out a little and not be overly intimidated. And now I had a wonderful tool to help me out! Thus, I began. Last week's study was enjoyable as I went through chapters 1-6, per lesson reading assignment.

But this week's? I started yesterday, continued for 2 hours this morning, and still only managed to read 4 of the 7 assigned chapters (22, 24-26, 28-30). (I did skim the others to be prepared.) I got so much out of what I studied. It was amazing and fantastic! I was having fun, and feeling the Spirit, and even understanding what was being said and making connections. It was such an incredible experience. I love experiences like these!

And what, you ask, am I doing? I am trying to apply Elder McConkie's Ten Keys to Understanding Isaiah (which my mother taught to me in Seminary and later in Institute, and which I in turn had to teach when I substituted in Sunday School two years ago). I think I have worked on Keys 1-3 since my Seminary days, so I knew a bit of what to expect as I began. And Key #8 was something my father has taught us children many times when we were growing up. I think my days as an English major also helped with that. Last week, I used key #4 (using the Book of Mormon).

Both weeks, especially today, I used Key #5 (use Latter-day revelation). I went to GospelDoctrine.com--introduced to me by my previous Institute teacher. It is one fabulous resource, and just what I needed for this venture into Isaiah. When finances afford, I want to buy the Isaiah student manual and go deeper, because this is awesome! (And I want to be able to apply Key #10.)

I may have only covered 13(ish) chapters of the 66 total, but I think I can begin to truly say--as I've always wanted to--I love Isaiah!

No comments: