I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Another love has come along

Day 29

It isn't often that one finds a wonderful period drama film adaptation of a book. There's always some thing, some part, some character, some acting, some scenery, some unnecessary addition, some direction...some thing that doesn't sit well with us. Usually it's enough some things that add up to it being a good movie. But not THE adaptation that you tell everyone they must see.

Yet occasionally, it does come along. Jane Eyre for one. The Toby Stephens version. It's amazing! Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. With so many Austen adaptations, I have so many views. I have my favorites, but not many must-sees. The new Northanger Abbey is close, but still missing a couple of my favorite parts. The new Sense and Sensibility, well, I'm exceedingly happy with that one, too. (Except for the opening scene. I do like the behind closed doors of Austen to stay behind those doors--on the other side of me.)

Well, finally a version of Emma has come along that is IT. The thing. I'll be fine watching the other versions, but I would be perfectly content to only watch this new Romola Garai and Jonny Lee Miller version for the rest of my time on earth. Wonderful happiness!

What perfect book-to-film period drama adaptations bring you joy?

2 comments:

Micaela said...

I was totally watching that the last two Sundays on PBS. LOVED it. :)

ldsjaneite said...

Yes, I've been recording it with the satellite, even though I convinced myself I'd be OK watching the first airing as it aired. (Late night wasn't the best for work the next day, but it was worth it.) Then a couple of days later, a blogger friend told me about the whole thing being on YouTube. As I plan on SOME day buying the movie, and will watch the satellite recording many times, I felt justified. So I watched it. Twice. In 2 days. :-)

I'm glad you love it!