I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Gospel Message Day 340

Random Reflections

Wow--I can't believe we're on the home stretch with these Gospel topic posts. I have no idea if anyone has actually been reading the posts. Blog traffic has increased, but that doesn't mean they stayed and read. And if they did, I don't know if my ramblings and attempts to be a better member missionary have had any positive outcome for them. But I think it has been positive for me. This experience has made me think, and search scriptures, and reflect on songs. It has reminded me that every part of my life is inseparably connected with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

Also, today we had such a beautiful special musical number. I actually had picked the song from one of my books a few weeks ago and asked a couple to sing it. I'd never heard it, but I thought it looked like a nice arrangement for the duet. Didn't even look at the piano since our pianist is Amazing x 10. Wow--that piano part was whoa! And fit so perfectly with the text. I've heard "How Great Thou Art" hundreds of times. Sung it quite a bit, including a few times last year with the Sterling Singers. But with memories of this weekend's hike very fresh in my mind, that song took on a sweeter, deeper, more lasting meaning for me as they sang

I see the stars...
Thy power throughout
The universe displayed...
When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees.
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

Then sings my soul, my Savior, God, to Thee
How Great Thou Art!

(emphasis added). Because I wandered under the stars in the woods. I looked up at that mountain grandeur and in a few hours was on top of that mountain, looking out at more of the wonders His hands hath made. I heard birds singing in the morning. And the breezes throughout the night and the morning were so beautiful. I know for myself why so many prophets went up into the mountain to pray and/or to converse with the Lord. I felt a closeness that can only be compared yet isn't quite the same as to what I feel inside the Lord's temple. Yes, there was a lot of pain and tears. Yes there has been residual pain today. But all I could think today was how every bit of that experience was worth it--to feel that close to my Savior and to my Heavenly Father, and to fully enjoy what they created for each of us.

No comments: