I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Gospel Message Day 339

Kindness of Strangers

I hiked Mount Timpanogos last night! A bucket list item to see the sun rise from the top. And I made it. However, my knees gave out by the time I got to the Saddle, and going down was awful. I broke out in tears multiple times from the pain. People asked if they could do anything, but I could tell they wanted to get down and would tire of my snail pace. Plus I didn't know what to ask them for help. My knees didn't want to bend, yet they had to to maneuver the rocks. And they had to work to get me down.

There were 3 boys (17/18) who passed me, and then I passed them on their break. They passed me again, and this time the 17 year turned around and asked me if he could help me down some of the rocky "steps." He had noticed that's where I had the most difficulty. He may have even noticed I'd been crying. After stopping to help me at 3 different rocky places, he just stayed by me to help. Eventually his friends helped by carrying my bag, and one of the guys switching out with the first. he unfortunately got the brunt because I got worse as we kept going down and was holding on to him almost non-stop.

The last 1/2 mile or so, some scouts and their leaders came down from doing a project. The leaders offered to help by doing a seat carry. And that sweet 18 year old--who happened to be opening his mission call tonight--went in to be one of the carriers even though I'd been holding on to him for so long already. They carried me, and had to keep re-gripping positions. Then the leader offered a piggy back ride. Either way, that last 1/2 mile went much faster and had me swallowing my pride even more than I already had been the entire hike up and down. I was so grateful for those leaders, but especially for those boys (who also ended up driving me to my car as well).

I was impressed and humbled by not just the kindness of strangers, but especially the willingness, service, and patience of these young men of the rising generation. O Youth of the Noble Birthright--our future is in good hands if we continue to raise men and women like this.

No comments: