I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Turtles and Friends

Day 37

This has been a weekend of friends and friendship. A friend from the BYU part 2 chapter of my life called and came by Saturday evening for a visit. It was very nice to catch up, and also nice to see how much the Lord knew this friendship was something I needed right now in not only this new chapter of life, but also with some of the personal struggles I'm having.

Then it was nice at Church to be able to call people by name and say hello and do the regular chit-chats of how one's week has been instead of the "Who are you" and such.

But what shocked me most was when one of the very friendly girls in the ward (who happens to share my name) sat next to me right before Sacrament meeting began. She turned and asked, "You're the one who likes turtles, right? I have a present for you!" And she handed me this little red sparkly bag and a spiritual quote and told me to open it right then. Inside, an adorable little sea turtle!

I'm not used to gifts, especially random out-of-the-blue ones. I have learned that gifts is not a love language of mine, unless it is truly meaningful with much thought and care behind it. (This is a whole different discussion that I'm not getting into right now.) So I sat there shocked that something that must have been told in passing to her a while ago was not only remembered, but acted upon. It was, I'm just....I don't even know how to describe it all. I still feel so new, and still feel very much like I don't fully belong here or in my new ward. And yet this girl was so outgoing and friendly and considerate and thoughtful.

And to me, she (and the cute little turtle) represents many of the people I have been getting to know--and how grateful I am the Lord has put such nice, friendly, welcoming people in my path.

No comments: