I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Shrink Not from Your Duty"

Day 51

I gave a talk in Sacrament meeting today. I haven't given a talk in about 18 months (of course, in all that time I was frequently teaching Relief Society!), and this was my first talk in my new ward. Again, I was given a topic that has a personal application. Previously, I've been asked to speak about

-my family history--and what the work means to me
-my pioneer ancestry
-why I feel temple work is important
-my father

This time, my topic was Duty to God--and what it means to me.

I'm finding a pattern here. These topics are very introspective, helping me reflect on various aspects and strengthen my knowledge and testimony of these aspects. It was no different with this particular topic. Indeed, I gained much from it. I thought on it a lot while I was at the temple on Friday. One aspect was wonderful, in coming to see some of the reasons I have chosen to live parts of my life as I do. I was also filled with not seeing just how much I owe my Father, but how blessed I have been and grateful I am for those blessings and why would I not want to try to give all I owe--even if I'll never, ever be able to re-pay Heavenly Father or my Savior.

With four speakers, I didn't have long to speak. I was first. I began by explaining the duty means something required of us, that usually involves action and commitment and not just something that should be done. It implies a debt owed. Next I read a scripture that has meant a great deal to me since Primary days. Mosiah 2:34 - "I say unto you, that there are not any among you...but what knoweth that ye are eternally indebted to your heavenly Father, to render to him all that you have and are." Then I shared a few personal insights of how I feel I could do more in my debt to my Father. And I ended with what I felt was the most important part of my duty to God--not that I should or ought to fulfill it, but because I want to. I even quoted the hymn's chorus, "Do your duty with a heart full of song."

With only 7 minutes, you can imagine that I didn't share anywhere near the many thoughts I'd had over the few days I reflected on this topic. Thus, I wanted to share some more of them here. Because I gained so much, and I don't want to forget it. Especially as I think it will be very important in helping me right now at this point in my life in my aim for improvement, better spiritual and physical habits, enduring emotional pain, and generally becoming more the daughter that Heavenly Father wants me to be. I'm thinking of making a little reminder note (like the many others I have on my wall) to help me be better in fulfilling my duty to God.

*I have been greatly blessed to be endowed with power from on high. 
-Do I not owe my Father trying to go to the temple as often I can to be reminded of my covenants, to know them better and try to live them better, and to also extend that work to those who have already passed on?
-It is my desire and goal to try to go weekly to the temple as long as it is in my power physically and "locationally." If the temple is a bit further away, then it is my desire and goal to try to go monthly to the temple. In good time, researching, and preparation, I also want to take family names to the temple when possible.

*I have been blessed with a large, wonderful family. 
-Do I not owe my Father doing all I can to deepen and strengthen the relationships I have with each of those members? Even though many of us live far apart, have I not been blessed with technology to shorten that distance? Thus, do I not owe to do what I can to not just have an eternal family, but to help build us that we would not want to spend eternity without each other?
-It is my desire to try and write or call my nieces and nephews who are far away, that I may become the "Sheri Dew aunt" whom they have good friendships and relationships with. Whom they will want to spend time with, and want to talk to. It is my desire to let my siblings know how much I have always loved them, and still look up to them. It is my desire to feel equal with them even when I feel so far behind them in so many ways. It is my desire and goal to keep in touch with them and support them however I can.

*I am given 6 entire days to do what I want to. 
-Do I not owe my Father one whole day? Not just a few hours in a day. The entire day. And in all honesty, if I devote that day to Him, am I not blessed anyhow for that devotion? It's a double-blessing! :-)
-It is my desire and goal to study the Gospel more on the Sabbath. To attend my Church meetings with a proper attitude and willing heart and good Spirit. To spend my non-Church hours in service (whether in person or through the written word). To be reverent. To not watch, read, or listen to secular things that could be done on any of the other 6 days. To improve familial and friend relationships.

*I have so many books to read. Such a wealthy access to them as well--most of them for free! I am blessed to read books upon books.
-Do I not owe my Father a few minutes every day to immerse myself in His books? His words? To eagerly read return to reading them as I do some of the fictional fluff that I read?
-It is my desire and goal to be better at my daily Book of Mormon study (at least a chapter a day, being sure to read through the Book of Mormon once through completely every year). It is my desire and goal to more fully establish my daily Gospel study, improving my scripture knowledge as well as my Gospel knowledge. It is my desire to memorize more scriptural passages, thus instilling them more in my heart and mind and helping me to better live God's words and not just know them.

*I have been blessed with music in my life. Songs that have touched my life so much. I can remember lyrics to songs by Josh Groban, and the Monkees, and so many musicals. 
-Do I  not owe my Father to know the words to His hymns?
-It is my goal to memorize each of the hymns in our LDS hymnal.

*I am blessed to go and see, write to, or call almost anyone I desire to.
-Do I not owe my Father a few minutes several times a day to speak with Him?
-It is my desire and goal to have more meaningful, thoughtful, sincere prayers with my Father throughout the day. I desire to not only improve my communication "skills"with Him, but to also improve my relationship with Him as well as my Savior.

*I am blessed with not just a job, but a job in my desired field.
-Do I not owe my Father an honest labor and kind temperament in the vocation and employment he has blessed me with?
-It is my desire to give what I can to my job and to the patrons I serve, to do so cheerfully, and to take opportunities to help me be better and more knowledgeable at what I do. But mostly it is my desire to never forget Who has given me these skills, and Whose children I am able to serve.

*I am blessed with a lovely home and a fairly healthy financial situation/support.
-Do I not owe my Father frequent thanks as well as wise choices?
-It is my goal to be more wise with money and material things. It is my goal to be more prepared, as the Church leaders counsel.

*I am blessed with a voice. I am allowed to sing what I want, and usually when I want. I have been given wonderful choir, group, and solo opportunities literally around the world. Some of that can be said for my piano skills.
-Do I not owe my Father to use that voice and piano skills to praise Him? To help others either praise Him or feel His spirit? To express my testimony?
-It is my desire to use my musical talents where and when possible to praise God and bear my testimony.

*I am blessed to have a life to myself. So much time and opportunity to do what I want, when I want, how I want.
-Do I not owe my Father time devoted to not only improve myself as a Daughter of God, but to use all of this wonderful time to prepare myself for marriage and family--and to do so joyously and gratefully?
-It is my goal and desire to love my life. To be happy and joyous. To be more and more grateful. And to take every advantage of all this time to become...more.

*I--and each of us--has been blessed with the most wonderful gift ever, one beyond all comprehension: the Atonement.
-Do I not even more than anything else owe my Father and His Son for this atoning sacrifice in my behalf? Do I not owe more gratitude for this sacrifice? More attempt to live righteously? More...everything?
-It is my desire to be more deserving of this sacrifice by doing all in my power to be obedient and grateful and mindful. To help others where I can. To do all required of me to build God's kingdom. To do and be more.

But most importantly, to do all of this because I want to.

How truly grateful I am for my duty to God, and my recent time to reflect on what it really does mean to me and how I can better fulfill that duty.

No comments: