I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Always Learning

Day 41

I still can't get over Institute. Not that I'm surprised by it. Just can't get over the joy I get to be learning and feeling what I do. See, much of what my teacher goes over are things I know. He is making sure to pull many of the students out of the stereotypical mind-frames concerning the Book of Mormon of Gospel principles. You know--the ideas and "traditions" we start to latch on to. It isn't harmful per se, but it (in my opinion) hinders deeper learning. For example, so many people think the prophet Abinadi was old. All because of the well-drawn painting of the amazing Arnold Frieberg. But some years ago I had a strong inclination to think that Abinadi very well could have been young--and oh what a change in the story it made for me! Little things like that, but still important to pull us out of that. (My teacher even brought that particular instance up.)

So much of what he does or says is not new to me. It's very reassuring to me to see how much I've come to learn in the last years of studying. To appreciate the study habits I've worked around, altered, and done whatever else to get the most out of. It will always be a work in progress. But I'm grateful to see the connections I've made, and the knowledge I've gained--all through the Spirit.

And yet my teacher still always brings out something new (if not a few more than that) that just hits home. Or something I've known but he words it so simply and clearly. The entire Gospel is being connected before me--and in such excitement yet reverence. And it lifts me so much. It has been a while since I've had a teacher who regularly does this. In the last couple of years, a lot of my learning was all on my own. Not that that is bad. But it is so wonderful to have a teacher--knowledgeable and full of the Spirit--to guide me along in paths of learning.

I love Institute and am so grateful not only for the inspiration from the Lord to have it (and for me to attend!), but also for all that it has to offer me in my life right now.

No comments: