I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, February 21, 2011

Rolling Along Together

Day 52

I had a slightly lazy day. Playing some games. Reading. Watching movies. I took a walk to the grocery store (and being able to say that brings such a smile). Lovely to have a day off. It also meant I could attend our Stake Family Home Evening. Which was roller skating. I hadn't been roller skating in about 7 years. And my knees could still remember the pain from the two falls I had. If I were better and not so afraid of maiming myself in any and all activities, I would probably enjoy roller skating more. But I was wary about going this evening. Especially as I had thoroughly enjoyed my hermit day. And was nervous about all of those people I didn't know in a place I was not familiar with in a situation I didn't know exactly what to expect from. (All of these being some of my main causes for social anxiety.)

But, I went. I had after all said I would try to go to every social thing that I could. And working Monday evenings means FHE attendances are not frequent. And the stake had paid for it. So I went. And even got skates, because the stake might as well get its money's worth.

How wonderful it was to recognize people from my new ward, and have them excited to see me. And to enjoy sitting and talking or eating with them. And have some of them beg me to come out and skate with them. And one or two of them very kindly taking it slow with me. And one "stranger" from another ward invite me to do the 3-person challenge--which had my heart racing and me screaming with terror and fun because I was so bad at it, and have two people pick me up both times I fell. Once my heart calmed down, I realized it had been thoroughly exciting and thrilling. And probably the best part of the whole evening for me. But I would never have said so during the challenge!

I even did the Hokey Pokey. I know. I hate that dance. (As well as the Chicken dance, which I did afterwards as well.) Always have. Of course, before I even got to participating in the dance I don't like, I couldn't stop myself getting out to the circle. 'Cause I'm not good in stopping when I roller skate. (Read: I can't do it!) And I ran smack into my friend and some unknown boy. And fell back and down. With the entire Hokey Pokey circle watching me. And it could have been embarrassing, but the immediate replay in my mind of how I must have looked to everyone had me laughing as much as I was probably blushing. And the two people I "attacked" quickly helped me to my feet. In fact, I think that was one of my favorite things all evening--not only seeing SO many people falling (because some of those falls were hilarious, as I'm sure mine was), but seeing how eager and quickly SO many people were reaching out to help up the fallen. Ah--such spiritual symbolism to be had there.

By the end of the activity, I was exhausted. A bruise on the elbow from one of the 3-person falls, and a huge bruise on my lower palm from the Hokey Pokey fall. My crooked knees were getting weary and my legs were tired. And I was perfectly happy in watching others skate and laughing with my new ward members--truly feeling like I'm making friends.

And that was the bestest of the best parts of the whole evening--starting to feel like I belong in this place the Lord has brought me to.

No comments: