I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

On this the Sabbath Day

Day 44

Who would have thought that Church could have been so great, fun, funny, and spiritually fulfilling? Granted, I did pray that I would be able to gain much from my day at Church. I really needed it, since last Sunday I just wasn't quite....um, there? With it? Don't know how to describe it. But I wanted a good Sabbath day.

So when the first speaker announced the topic assigned to all four speakers, I began to wonder:

What Women Want (...in Guys)

Yeah. It went along with the whole Valentine's thing. And both the brothers and the sisters spoke on it. As one brother said, "It's all about the women today."

But they actually all did quite well. I was laughing, of course. The first sister's talk was fabulous. I agreed with so much and was grateful that she spoke on it respectfully, reverently, and honestly. She also quoted Elder Oaks famous "No hanging out" talk, which I don't think can ever be over-quoted. The first brother's talk was very sweet and sincere, and scripturally based. Both of those speakers are engaged. Kind of relieving to hear them speak. The other talks went well, too. And add to that, the hymns were very inspiring and uplifting for me. Considering all that has been creeping into my consciousness in the last week, I really needed this. And needed it done lightly but still seriously and spiritually. 

But it didn't end there. The Sunday School lesson was incredible. It was on the Savior's miracles. And I even spoke up. More than once. I shared my recent experiences with my Locked-In Syndrome friend, as it was standing out to me a lot as I prepared for this lesson. The teacher had a wonderful, upbeat, positive, energetic style. And the class was very responsive and full of discussion. Absolutely wonderful. And I was very much filled with the Spirit on the reality of miracles then, and miracles now. And seeing all of the many miracles in my life both past and present.

The day could have been complete and wonderful just there. Especially as a headache and a low-protein episode hit me in the evening and I was laying down waiting for them to pass or at least run their course. So it was a shock yet a great joy to finally receive a phone call from my best friend. If I'd known he was going to call, I would have cancelled my plans to walk to ward prayer with one of my friends. But it was probably best that I didn't, else we would have talked twice as long as we did and it was already late for him to still be awake. Still, it was a great end for my day, especially as I was laying there in pain and it distracted me while also made me feel less alone.

I love spiritually, mentally, and emotionally uplifting Sabbath days--and I know the Lord knows, intends, and loves that, too.

No comments: