I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, April 6, 2015

Gospel Message Day 194

General Conference Insights

So, with another amazing Conference behind us, I thought I would share some of the things I gained from it. Today's is how the Lord answers prayers.I have a testimony that He does, and in His time, and with what He knows is best for us. And usually, my answers come as John Newton described in my favorite movie "Amazing Grace:"

God sometimes does His work with gentle drizzle, not storms. Drip. Drip. Drip.

But once in a while, my prayers will be answered with a beautiful rain shower. I had been praying for a few weeks in my personal preparation for Conference. I had struggled to think of any specific question or need, so I prayed generally on that. But on Saturday, on my way to work, I realized that I had at least a desire. Not a need. Not a question. And though it seemed odd, we are still to ask Heavenly Father for our righteous desires. And I didn't feel that this was a bad one. So I prayed and asked that at least one speaker would really talk about marriage, especially in a way that would truly hit home with the many singles out there.

And the answer was a definite rain shower. No occasional or even steady drips there. I was blown away over the weekend with at least 5 talks on marriage and family--possibly more but I might have been distracted with other things (accents, work, tiredness, etc).

I'm not saying that because I prayed for those that morning that that was why those talks were given. Certainly not! Those speakers had been preparing those messages for weeks--maybe even months! I think the significant lesson for me in this was that I remembered (and was proven quite assuredly) that it is right and good for me to express my righteous desires in prayer, for they matter to the Lord just as much as my needs do, and they can and will be answered.

No comments: