I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Gospel Message Day 301

What is This Thing That Men Call Death

I'm pausing from the current topic, because another wants to be addressed. My very dear aunt passed away last night. All of my memories of her had her full of life, energy, love, joy, and fun--for the people around her and for life in general. I know that when people pass we tend to say the more positive things about them and let the ill ones go. A glorification if you will. But I know of no ill things about her. She was all that is good and lovely in the world. A very, very precious soul and person--and I will miss her a great deal. I have loved that the last 15 years of my life allowed me to be geographically closer to her than I was growing up, because it enabled me to get to know her more and to create more memories. I am grateful for that time, because she was very much worth knowing and having in one's life.

I have been crying off and on all day. Out of happiness that her pain is over. At the joy of knowing she is reunited with her dad and two of her sons. From the peace that families are forever and this is not over. We're just all separated from her until it is our turn to join her on the other side of the veil. But I have had many, many tears because it seems so unfathomable that I won't get to see her again in this life. That I won't get any more hugs. She won't bring her gooseberry pie to Thanksgiving. Her laugh will not be heard at our gatherings. Her sense of humor and fun won't add to the joy of get togethers. Her protection, light-hearted attitude, and reassurance won't be there to shield me from the frustrating remarks directed at me by a senior member. Most deaths affect me because of my being left behind, and no longer having them a part of my life. Yet there is always comfort that helps assuage the tears, because I know it isn't over. There is more to come, for certain on the other side of the veil, but also that her influence will continue to be felt on this side as well.

She was an amazing aunt, and I hope that I can be for my "niephews" what she has been for me.

Our wonderful President Hinckley penned these words when he was still on Earth. They seem appropriate today.

1. What is this thing that men call death
This quiet passing in the night?
’Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.
2. O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.
3. There is no death, but only change,
With recompense for vict’ry won.
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.

No comments: