I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Gospel Message Day 283

Gratitude, Part 7

Another trial I have been blessed with: crooked knees! Went about 4 or 5 years with the diagnosis of arthritis. But then my true, wonderful doctor (not a school nurse) said my knees were crooked and even took x-rays to verify. This ailment has manifested itself in burning, throbbing knees when they have reached their limit. The pain was much worse when I was a teen, especially when I was running a lot. Cross Country brought out significant pain. The last few weeks of the season were so painful. I remember after a dance in my senior year, I was spending the night at a friend's. My knees were shaking from their throbbing and I was close to tears.

I believe my knees have gotten stronger over the years, and more used to the work I put them to--something to be grateful there!

But though the pain has eased much over time, they still manifest effects. I cannot sit still for very long without the knees having to shift position. I'm sure I annoy people when I sit near them on a couch. Constantly stretching, bending, twisting. It's the only way to keep them comfortable.

I think the biggest thing I have to be grateful for is that though the knees can hurt, they work! Though there is pain there is also strength, functionality, and capability--which is worth any pain considering the alternative.

I am grateful that there are so many "knees scriptures" that I can find reassurance in and great symbolism from.

Isaiah 35: 3    
Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees.

Job 4:4
Thy words have upholden him that was falling, and thou hast strengthened the feeble knees.

Doctrine and Covenants 81:5
Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.

They are weak, but they make me strong.


No comments: