I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, July 20, 2015

Gospel Message Day 299

Sacrament, Part 4

Sweet, recently departed Elder Perry spoke of the Sacrament in General Conference 4 years ago. I thought I would quote from his talk.

"It is remarkable that even through the dark periods of apostasy, this pattern of Sabbath day worship and the sacrament continued to be practiced in many forms.
When the gospel was restored, Peter, James, and John, three of the Apostles who first received the sacrament from the Savior, appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery. Under their direction, the priesthood authority necessary to administer the sacrament to the members of the Church was restored.8"
I've never thought about the Restoration of the Priesthood in that way. But I like the full circle of those who first received the sacrament being the means to bring it back to our dispensation.
I also love this very succinct statement: 
"Partaking of the sacrament is the center of our Sabbath day observance." 
Elder Perry ties together Sacrament and Sabbath day, as they are inseparable. 
"...by the clothing we encourage [our children] to wear and the activities we plan, we help them prepare for the sacrament and enjoy its blessings throughout the day."
I love that he points out how what we wear and what we do helps us in the preparation as well as the partaking of the sacrament, and that it is not just during the ordinance but for all the Sabbath day.
And things we can do during the sacrament I've put in bold in Elder Perry's quote from Elder Ballard"
"Elder Melvin J. Ballard has suggested, “We want every Latter-day Saint to come to the sacrament table because it is the place for self-investigation, for self-inspection, where we may learn to rectify our course and to make right our own lives, bringing ourselves into harmony with the teachings of the Church and with our brethren and sisters.”12
As we worthily partake of the sacrament, we witness that we are willing to take the Savior’s name upon us and keep His commandments and do always remember Him, that we may have His Spirit to be with us. In this way the covenant of our baptism is renewed. The Lord assured His disciples, “As oft as ye do this ye will remember this hour that I was with you.”13"

No comments: