I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oops.


Day 72

A lesson in humility for me today. I am usually the one who reminds everyone of upcoming time changes. Considering where I work, it’s hard to forget it’s coming. It was no different this time. I reminded many. And I had alarms set up on my work calendar. But yesterday’s Very Hard Time completely wiped it out of my mind. I had a full morning of lesson reading, waffle making, and just my typical relaxed Sunday morning. I made it to the church building a few minutes early for choir. And I walked into the building hearing a Sacrament song being sung. As I thought, “How odd the other ward is singing that for a closing hymn,” all of the signs hit me at once: the parking lot was full with no one from the first ward leaving. There was no one leaving the RS room I stood next to. No one was leaving the church building next to my apartment complex. Everything pointed to how I’d forgotten to set my clocks, and that I never look at the time on my phone or laptop. The next two thoughts were simultaneous: “Wow they got to the sacrament hymn quickly” and “I could just leave right now and go to a different ward today.”

I know. That sounds drastic. But you have no comprehension of some of my social anxieties. And this was right at the top of “oh my word!” for me. But this was my ward. And I was only 8 minutes late. And it’s not like this is frequent...at all!!! It was just the first time I could remember being late for Church since I had begun college over 10 years ago.

But mostly, the Lord knows it certainly didn’t hurt me to be humbled a bit to teach me again about being more aware, and accepting when I make mistakes.

Besides, it’s not like many in the ward even know who I am, let alone noticed my late arrival. And I soon was enjoying a hearty laugh over the one friend who did notice. 

No comments: