I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yumminess is in Season--All Year Round!

Day 118

Four times within 10 days and I knew it was the Spirit telling me I should act. I was made more aware and decided to finally look into it: eating seasonally. I figured if I'm learning to watch portion size, and be aware of calories, and try to take in more nutrients that I didn't realize I was lacking so much, then I could learn what foods are in season when, and how to cook them, too!

Monday I ventured to the local farmer's market--and hope to make a weekly or bi-weekly habit if I find the prices doable. And today I had the time to learn how to cook...

Collards!

Luckily, I had leftover parts from my first ham that I cooked on Easter. So I added them in with onions and a few spices and went about cooking them. As it would take 2 hours before I could see how that would turn out, and I needed something to eat until then, I turned to the other quite yummy food that I bought...

Asparagus!

I steamed it, then broiled it atop garlic bread. Mmmmm--it was so good! And I couldn't believe it had so few calories in it. I had plenty of room to try my first-attempt at collards.

However, the collards still had a good way's to go. And the kitchen seemed full of southerness. And the collard recipes mentioned to keep the water the collards were cooked in and sop it up in order to obtain the nutrients thereof, so I simply had to make...

Cornbread!

Of course, we were still out of eggs as we were on Sunday when I make Chocolate Cone Cakes. I hadn't planned ahead of time to make cornbread, and I was not able to run out to the store. So I used the same substitute as I did with the Cone Cakes. Mayonnaise. Yeah. Well. It has eggs in it. And I've been using it in chocolate cakes aplenty. Just never in any other recipe. I wondered how it would turn out. The cornbread? Amazing. Not as fantastic as Sister W.'s or Mum's (though I'm pretty sure Mum used the same Betty Crocker recipe that I used tonight, sans mayonnaise). Still, pretty good.

Then the collards were done. I got 4 cups of cooked collards from the big bunch that only cost me $2. I know--4 meals for $2! And the cupful that I had tonight was so good. A little on the spicy hot side--perhaps a bit too much of that spice. But really good. Better than the only other time I can remember eating collards.

I hope buying in the season will often be this affordable, easy to prepare, and yummy in taste.

No comments: