I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

May I Serve Thee

Day 100

My 100th day! It is amazing! Telling you about my joys and gratitudes on a daily basis has truly made a difference in my life. It has helped me keep the peace and happiness the Lord helped me to find last December. In fact, I just had a very, very hard week in all respects. And yet, it was a week that I felt completely on top of no matter how much was thrown at me. I didn't feel that I was suffocating, or that I wouldn't see the sun again. I saw the sun the entire time. I had no trouble breathing. All was well as I dealt with each day and made it through.

The Lord is blessing me so much. I see it every day in the small ways. But He sends the big things, too. For example, 3 weeks ago we learned that Sister Julie Beck herself--our General Relief Society president whom I have loved and looked up to for at least 7 years now--is coming to speak to my stake. Well, we've made it a tri-Stake event, yet my stake is hosting it. It will be in my stake building (quite close to where I work, and is my "home ward" building). And 2 weeks ago, the women of our stake choir were asked to sing a special musical number for it.

Now, I love to sing. Anyone who knows me knows that is an inseparable part of me. I share my feelings much more easily through song--including my love for my Savior and for my Heavenly Father, and my testimony of the Gospel. So when I get to sing for various church functions, I am humbled, honored, and grateful. Singing for church leaders? I'm even more so. I have had opportunities to sing in General Conference. It meant so much to me to be there and be part of that. I was able to sing in a choir when Sheri Dew came to speak to my BYU RS stake--and I still remember the song, and her hugging me afterwards when I got to meet her. (Sister Dew is right up there with Sister Beck, for me.) Last year I was able to not only sing in the choir for Stake Conference where Elder Richard G. Scott was our presiding authority, but also play the piano for the YSA fireside he requested to hold.

Singing for Sister Beck for next week's fireside? It couldn't get much better, could it? I was wrong. The Lord had another blessing in store for me. Due to the difficult week I've had and to fighting either a cold or the extreme pollen season we've been having, I had to postpone my temple trip and family visit. I did not want to risk falling asleep at the wheel (which was quite likely in my condition), and I needed lots of rest. Staying home meant I was able to attend our final choir practice for the fireside. I'd already had to miss one of the 3 practices for work. But luckily it was a song I was asked to sing in a trio last year for a missionary "farewell." It is a song that has come very close to my heart and I love it dearly. The more I sing it, the more its message takes hold of me and reminds me of who I am, and why I live (or try to live) as I live. And at practice today, our director asked me to sing the first verse as a solo.

Goodness--I'm crying just at the thought of it. I get to sing my testimony to this woman I love and admire so much. I--myself alone--get to share these words with everyone there, including Sister Beck and most especially to my Heavenly Father and my Savior:

Lord, take these hands
Let me use these Hands
To serve Thee willingly.

Lord, take these ears
Let me hear Thy words
And humbly follow Thee.

I love the music. I love the message and its power. I love the pleading and the promise. I love the song.


May I Serve Thee- Tammy Simister Robinson from Meg Mitchell on Vimeo.


I will never be able to describe how much music means to me, nor how much being able to use that gift to bear my witness and testimony as well as praise my Father and Savior is a life-changing experience every time.

But I can simply say I am grateful for each opportunity He blesses me with and hope I am truly worthy of them.

No comments: