I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Soccer Mom Rides Again!

Day 229

It's been a good day. My brother is in the MTC. I stayed awake at work. :-) And I had time in the evening to actually go cheer for my ward/stake in the softball tournament. I'm not good at sports. Especially anything that involved more than just running. I don't think well under pressure--fast pressure, too--and my hand-eye-coordination (not to mention adding in moving feet!) is almost nil. In my college intramural days, I found my calling in the sports life--cheering. I enjoyed watching my friends play. I couldn't help occasionally being a coach and calling out what to do or not do out there on the playing fields. I loved supporting. I loved getting to know names. I loved seeing sportsmanship. I loved seeing skills. And I loved that they loved having me there. Goodness--I even won the Honker Award* for my devotion to cheering for my ward's sports teams (even in a formal dress). I also earned a nickname for it: Soccer Mom.

I am grateful the Lord gives me the ability to understand sports enough to follow what's going on, as well as be a cheerful support to others in fun, simple ways.

Today's Smile: I made fellow ward members smile as I played cheerleader. It helped when my more vocal friend joined me and I didn't feel as silly all alone calling out "Woohoo!!"

Today's Something New: I'm learning some new technology things, as well as places on the Internet to help me figure out how to use that technology to help teens in/and the library. It's been a while (like, since grad school) since I've done so much tech stuff. I've missed it. And I'll never learn it all. But it's fun to learn what I can!


*See Life in the 32nd Ward, Chapter 10.

No comments: