I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Friend in Need

Day 232

I did it! I went to a party. I mean, a large party with music way louder than I prefer and rock/80s costumes that I wouldn't have been caught in even in the 80s. (Though, well, I did have a pretty sweet 80s outfit for a Church social when I lip-synched "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" as a YW Presidency.) But I went. I'd contemplated for 2 weeks, knowing it would be after a full day of work (and on a Saturday!). I also faced the inevitable social anxieties that always accompany. It could have been very easy to talk myself out of it, event though I knew I really shouldn't. I really needed to go. I need to take every social opportunity I can, especially in my ward.

After work, I could feel myself faltering when an inspiration came--ask my friend and see if I could carpool with her. For if I could go with someone who I enjoy being with, and someone who understands my social anxieties and doesn't push nor hinder me in them, then I stood a much better chance of getting out of my shell sooner and enjoying myself faster. It worked. And I stayed 3 hours longer than I expected--and had a blast for all of it.

I'm so grateful the Lord inspired me to call on a friend.

Today's Smile: All the families who came to watch "Toy Story 3" at the library. Or all the people I saw at the party. They were all good smiles to give. :-)

Today's Something New: One of the poetry books I read had some little facts about various night creatures. I did not know some of the facts, particularly the one spider that eats its web at the end of the night (after it has caught all its prey).

No comments: