I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Speaking Up

Day 72

We had Saturday stake meetings today. I represented the entire YSA Relief Society presidency. Often in the stake meetings like this, I sit back and gain from the more experienced sisters around me. The topics generally addressed are ones that don't quite include the YSAs. This time, I didn't let that keep me. I felt I needed to speak up in representing the singles. We have a great support from our stake leaders as a singles' branch, but some of the family wards don't think much on us and don't realize what a great work is being done with, through, by, because of, and for our branch.

So in our combined presidency meeting, we were talking about why it is important to know the doctrine. I had my own say, so I shared. This is not typical for me in any setting. See, I was the one who knew the answers as a youth, and the youth stopped answering questions because they knew I knew the answer. In Seminary, my teacher [aka mother] asked me to stop answering questions so the others would have to figure things out. I started to get used to that, and then when I got to BYU, I loved to sit back and listen because I learned so much from all that was being said around me. I have had to spend the last 3 to 4 years learning to speak up in classes again. While I'm much better at it now, I'm not as comfortable with it in a room mostly full of strangers.

Well, when I spoke out my comment, the stake RS president said she wanted to pause and bring out how we as a singles group worked on what we were discussing and why it was important in our particular group. So I had to speak up even more than I had expected, but I was so grateful I had the opportunity to "talk up" our little branch.

My active participation did not end there. When we split up into various groups, I spoke up quite a bit in the meeting of the education counselors. I even brought up one of the difficulties that we faced and received equal counsel from my peers. It was greatly appreciated.

I always love getting to know others in the stake. Especially in my current stake. I love the people in it. I love that I feel I belong, and that I have a place. So to step a little out of my comfort zone and put myself on an equal, active, participating, and contributive footing, it made me feel fantastic!

No comments: