I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, March 12, 2010

Free to Be

Day 71

Every time I go to visit my Locked-In Syndrome friend, I am reminded of how wonderful and amazing it is that I can move on my own. Exercising is a joy when I know I can just get up and do it when I want. No one to have to lift me out of bed. No one using electrodes to stimulate muscles and get the signals to the brain that are not working. My whole body--little pains and all--is a marvelous wonder of amazingness! Little to no effort to shake someone's hand, or make a fist, or tap my foot to a rhythm. I am always humbled and shamed when I think how much I complain over my various illnesses and forget that I have a body that functions on its own.

There's an old LDS commercial that I taught to some friends at school in 6th grade. We used to sing it at recess all the time.

Run
Jump
Climb
Walk
Laugh
&
Cry
Throw
Fetch
Play Catch
Slip
&
Slide
Look
Swim
Eat
Grin
Cook
&
CHEER
Giggle
Wait
Talk Straight
(Woo!!)
Be There!

Love isn't just something you say, it's something you do.

A message from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Of that list, my friend can only do about 6 on her own. Especially wait. "She has the patience of Job" as they say. She really does. And yet she makes so much progress in gaining back the use of various limbs. I've seen her lift her legs from a bent position into a straight position, and I want to cry every time I see this amazing feat because when I met her, she couldn't even lift her head on her own.

If there was anything I was to truly gain from living here right now in this time of my life, I believe it was knowing my friend. She has changed my life and of a surety left "a handprint on my heart."

No comments: