I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm so old!

Day 81

My father has helped me on my taxes ever since I have had to pay them. Some times he'd be right there next to me to talk me through what I was doing. Other times he'd do what all he could, and then mail everything to me across the country and have me finish with the rest. The last 3 years, he has done just that. Part of it was because he was using TurboTax and he tried to figure out the ways to get me the highest return where possible. Part of it because there were "so many things" to track.

I've always wanted to try my hand at my taxes. You know--that whole responsible adult thing. But I also knew how confused I could get by things and was grateful how often my father was there to help. However, this year my father turned it all completely over to me. And I had no qualms with that, as both of us knew it could not be hard since I finally had only one job in only one state. Amazing! Plus--no moving. No name changing. Nothing! It couldn't have been an easier year for me to do all my taxes all on my own.

OK. So I did call my Dad with one question about my previous year's taxes. And then found the answer myself by going through my files. (I guess it's a good thing I keep so much in filing, even though it bugs me.) I also went the long, convoluted TurboTax route before realizing that was the Deluxe edition, and I wanted the free edition. So though I had to "start over," I learned quite a bit about various things concerned with taxes and while I am still confused, I'm still intrigued.

Anywho. TurboTax with federal and the state's online filing system have helped me, as of today, to be completely done with all of my tax stuff--all on my own! I feel so much older and responsible and cool. I know that some day I may dread taxes because of all the paperwork and such I'll have to go through, and deductions to think about, etc. But for now, as a single and with a very simple life, I actually enjoy doing my taxes. Wonderful tools make it so much easier and there's only so much I have to concern myself with.

So for now I will be happy with the responsible adult feeling I get and grateful for the ease of the task.

1 comment:

Michaela Stephens said...

I totally sympathize with that feeling of wanting to know more about how to do taxes.

I felt the same way about it when I was first married. So when I was able to get a job at the IRS for a season, I felt that was a blessing.