I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Gospel Message Day 272

Perspective

This is not a topic I drew. It's one that I felt appropriate in my life right now, and which I certainly believe to be part of the Gospel. It is a very human thing for us to compare. That person has better hair. Their complexion is clearer. They're taller. If it was just a comparison, it would probably be fine. But often those comparisons are made with some amount of jealousy or even coveting. And this should not be. I have learned over the years--and over and over again in those years!--that what we can gain from them is perspective.

For (an odd) example, I don't have to be jealous of those who are tall when I couldn't even get up to 5'2". And I don't need to lord it over a tall person with the woes they may experience. I have my joys and my woes for being short, just as I'm sure a tall person has that for them. There is no reason for either of us to be upset or overly happy. No one is better or worse because of their situations. We are what we are, we have what we have, we experience what we experience. Each of our lives is tailored exactly for us--to gain the best and reach the highest that we can.

So I've been getting glimpses of that here and there for the past few days. Being reminded what others face, and of what I face. NOT comparing them to me. But letting me see that each of us has our trials, our successes, our ups, our downs. And that each of us, all of us, can find the strength and joy we need and can enjoy through the Savior's Atonement.

No comments: