I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Gospel Message Day 253

Sabbath, Part 3

Today I will talk about some of the activities I choose to do (or not do) on the Sabbath. One's Sabbath activities are very, very personal--and differ from one person to the next. I wish while growing up and in my earlier college years I had Elder Nelson's quote about our conduct and attitude being our own personal sign between ourselves and Heavenly Father. I was more judgmental than I like to admit, but often because I just could not understand why some people chose to do certain things on the Sabbath. They were so different from what I had been raised. I knew we were not taught in the Church specific things to do. But we were given suggestions and, of course, had our agency in what to do. What I didn't realize then but do now is that our Sabbath actions are a personal choice which are ways that allow us to show our Savior our commitment to and respect for Him and His holy day. So there should be no judgement on our part, because these actions are between a person and the Savior.

As I've grown older, I've considered various actions on if they are things that can bring my closer to my Heavenly Father and to my Redeemer Jesus Christ. Some things are a permanent action, like going to Church, and partaking of the Sacrament (or to Conference if it happens to be one of those Sundays). Some times I attend Firesides where I learn more about the Savior and His Gospel and how I can better live it. When "in season," I attend my choir rehearsals (which is one of my favorite ways to spend the Sabbath--singing about my Savior). I visit friends and family. I visit with the sisters I have been asked to help and be their friend. I like to do my Family History if I can find the time.

I loved watching Church videos when I was growing up. I have a very tiny collection now compared to what our family had, but I still enjoy watching what I own. When I was older, I added some period dramas (like Austen movies) to the mix, because they are a calming influence. They are enjoyable to watch with others. They are great studies of human nature and behavior (yeah, I know, I'm a nerd). I often am crocheting or doing something else while the movie is on in the background. It is a break from the regular routine of my week. When I choose a movie for my Sabbath, I personally evaluate how it will make me feel and think on that holy day. In that choice, it is as I said before a personal thing, and my own way to show my Savior how I regard Him and His day. In my own personal standards, I feel like I stumble occasionally in this area, and perhaps in other actions I've chosen to do on this day. But every Sabbath I try to make my actions consistent with what I feel would be full of the most respect and love for my Redeemer.

No comments: