I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Gospel Message Day 270

Temples, Part 3

I have loved temples since I was very young. I think this love began because my parents had a love for them and placed an importance on them. I knew I would not enter one until I was 12, so it became a place that I looked forward to. A place that helped me set a goal, because I wanted the higher learning I could obtain there, as well as be able to perform the service done within. Though for almost 3/4 of my life I lived 2, 4, or even 8 hours away from the nearest temple, I looked forward to the time I would get to enter. The weeks or months in between made temple that much more special and sacred.

When I did finally enter the temple at age 12, I immediately felt of the power and peace my family taught me, and which we sing about in our Primary songs. My love for the temple grew even more as I was able to gain my own testimony of all that could be gained from service done inside. Somewhere in the later teens, I remember telling myself that where ever I lived, I wanted to be sure that a picture of the Savior and a picture of the temple were in every room. In apartments, I only did so in certain rooms that I felt I had some "claim" over or that roommates wouldn't mind or care (kitchen, living room). Now in my own home, I have tried to make that every room, except for the two that will be occupied by someone else at some point. But one day when I don't need to rent out those rooms, those pictures will go up in those walls.

Many can understand why I would have pictures of the Savior? But why the temple? I don't worship a building the way I worship my Redeemer. And I don't worship the pictures either. The pictures are a reminder of who I want to be like, how I want to be, and where I long to be. The Savior pictures remind me that I am loved, I am not alone, that I have commandments to keep which will bring great happiness. The temple pictures are symbols which represent all that I know awaits me within--instruction, hope, peace, and salvation. And I know that in them I can continue to gain those for myself, and that I can help those who have gone before to gain as well.

No comments: