I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Gospel Message Day 251

Sabbath Day

Though the topic of the Atonement is unfathomable, I think I've expounded enough for now. It's a guarantee that I will talk of it more on this blog in the future.
I like this new topic, especially as a few days ago I read Elder Nelson's recent Conference talk about the Sabbath. In my first (so far) reading of it, these were the take-aways:

*"the Sabbath was given as a perpetual covenant, a constant reminder that the Lord may sanctify His people."

*"my conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father"

*When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, 'What sign do I want to give to God?' That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear.

*"The fulness of the earth is promised to those who keep the Sabbath day holy"

*"give highest priority to family prayer, family home evening, gospel study and instruction, and wholesome family activities."

*"No other work transcends that of righteous, intentional parenting!"

*"Such study of the gospel makes the Sabbath a delight. This promise pertains regardless of family size, composition, or location."

*"If you choose to delight yourself in the Lord, you will not permit yourself to treat it as any other day. Routine and recreational activities can be done some other time."

My favorite of those is when he suggests asking one's self what sign we want to give God when deciding on what activities we do on the Sabbath. I think that is the perfect way for one to account for their own actions and not have to be commanded in all things. And it makes sense that we are not told exactly what our actions should be, for we are to have our agency--especially when it concerns our dedication to our Heavenly Father.

No comments: