I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Gospel Message Day 122

Holy Ghost, Part 7 

I'm on the tired side of the evening. So I'm going to do a brief post that I've had in mind for this topic but had other things to say before. I love hymns about the Spirit--for they clearly tell about His role as teacher, guide, and comforter. Composers do so much better than I do at putting things so well in words. Thus, here are a few of those hymns' lyrics. (This first is my most favorite about the Spirit.)

Let the Holy Spirit Guide

1. Let the Holy Spirit guide;
Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ,
Light our minds with heaven's view.
2. Let the Holy Spirit guard;
Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home
If we listen to his voice.
3. Let the Spirit heal our hearts
Thru his quiet, gentle pow'r.
May we purify our lives
To receive him hour by hour.
Text: Penelope Moody Allen, b. 1939. © 1985 IRI
Music: Martin Shaw, 1875-1958. © 1915 by J. Curwen & Sons, Ltd. Used by permission. International copyright secured. All rights reserved. Making copies without written permission of the copyright owner is prohibited.
Verse 2 from Our Savior's Love
  1. The Spirit, voice
    Of goodness, whispers to our hearts
    A better choice
    Than evil's anguished cries.
    Loud may the sound
    Of hope ring till all doubt departs,
    And we are bound
    To him by loving ties.
  2. Text: Edward L. Hart, b. 1916. (c) 1977 IRI
    Music: Crawford Gates, b. 1921. (c) 1977 IRI
  1. Enfold me in thy quiet hour
    And gently guide my mind
    To seek thy will, to know thy ways,
    And thy sweet Spirit find.
  2. Text and music: Lorin F. Wheelwright, 1909-1987 (c) 1958, 1985 Lorin F. Wheelwright
  1. 1. Thy Spirit, Lord, has stirred our souls,
    And by its inward shining glow
    We see anew our sacred goals
    And feel thy nearness here below.
    No burning bush near Sinai
    Could show thy presence, Lord, more nigh.
  2. 2. "Did not our hearts within us burn?"
    We know the Spirit's fire is here.
    It makes our souls for service yearn;
    It makes the path of duty clear.
    Lord, may it prompt us, day by day,
    In all we do, in all we say.
  3. Text: Frank I. Kooyman, 1880-1963. (c) 1948 IRI
    Music: Alexander Schreiner, 1901-1987. (c) 1948 IRI

No comments: