I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Gospel Message Day 121

Holy Ghost, Part 6

I know I have mentioned the role/affect of music in my life so many times already on this blog. But music is a great and glorious gift from God, especially as an instrument of the Spirit! Some of the clearest messages I have ever received from the Spirit came through music. Just click on the link to the posts labeled music and you can see quite a few experiences within those. Comfort is probably the highest use the Spirit puts in my life.

Well, maybe it's second. Because there are thousands of songs that allow the Spirit to testify of Christ to me--and not just hymns. There are other church-y songs but also some secular ones in which I feel the Spirit and know that Christ lives and that He loves me. So testifying is the first. Comforting is the 2nd.

Teaching is the 3rd. This mostly relates to hymns. I have gained a lot related to doctrine when I use the hymns in trying to learn more in my research. I know that the Spirit influenced those involved in creating the hymns and then helps me to find and grasp the knowledge therein.

Fourth, music has occasionally given me guidance in my life. When I've been praying for answers that will give me direction in life, or even when I've just been pondering my choices, I have at times heard music (both secular and spiritual) which has helped me make a decision.

I actually have an experience that incorporated all 4 of these. After undergraduate school, I was prompted to go home. (Well--quite blatantly told, actually, but that's another story.) I was at a very emotional low when I moved home. I needed it then. But as time wore on, I got a job, I was in graduate school, I had a great church calling. I found things to do and I was useful. Onward and upward and all that. After being home for more than a year, I began to feel stifled and trapped where I was. I felt guilty for being so, because my family and friends had done so much to help and support me through my ups and downs, my attempts at being an adult and being responsible (job, schooling, etc). But I was so low and I didn't quite know where to go or how to go about getting there. Or even if I should. Surrounded my loved ones and feeling utterly alone.

And then a song made it to the top charts. I heard it played over and over again on the radio. Every time I did, I ended in tears. Because the song reminded me that Jesus--through His Atonement--knew exactly how I felt. That He understood and wanted me to feel better--because that's what this song started to do for me. I felt like I wasn't alone in feelings like this (comfort). Teaching came about from two lines that taught me that just because I wanted a change in my circumstances, it didn't mean I was ungrateful or would forget who and what made me who I was. But I also didn't need to let them hold me back. If their part in my life had filled its purpose, moving on was not ingratitude. And guidance? The whole chorus helped me know that I needed to leave the comfort zone I had put myself in. I needed to look for ways to change my situation and pursue them--with no guilt to hold me back and the encouragement to try something new or different. So I decided to start on the path that would change the situation.

It was a very powerful experience. And I'm sure you would like to know what the song is. It no longer makes me cry, because I'm years and miles away from that trapped situation. But I will forever hear it with gratitude that the Lord loves me and has the Spirit help me in so many ways.

"Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson

Grew up in a small town
And when the rain would fall down
I'd just stare out my window
Dreaming of what could be
And if I'd end up happy
I would pray (I would pray)

Trying hard to reach out
But when I tried to speak out
Felt like no one could hear me
Wanted to belong here
But something felt so wrong here
So I prayed I could break away

[Chorus:]
I'll spread my wings and I'll learn how to fly
I'll do what it takes til' I touch the sky
And I'll make a wish
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget all the ones that I love
I'll take a risk
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway

Wanna feel the warm breeze
Sleep under a palm tree
Feel the rush of the ocean
Get onboard a fast train
Travel on a jet plane, far away (I will)
And breakaway

[Chorus]

Buildings with a hundred floors
Swinging around revolving doors
Maybe I don't know where they'll take me but
Gotta keep moving on, moving on
Fly away, breakaway

I'll spread my wings
And I'll learn how to fly
Though it's not easy to tell you goodbye
I gotta take a risk
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway
Out of the darkness and into the sun
But I won't forget the place I come from
I gotta take a risk
Take a chance
Make a change
And breakaway, breakaway, breakaway

No comments: