I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Gospel Message Day 109

Obedience, Part 6

And finally Doctrine & Covenants scriptures on obedience.

I love scriptures in this book, because they are so direct and clear. They also are tied to stories from my own dispensation. I really connect with them. I have found some of my greatest guidance from the Doctrine & Covenants. So here are a bunch of the scriptures. I'll hold on my commentary until the last of them.

Doc&Cov 56:3
Behold, I, the Lord, command; and he that will not obey shall be cut off in mine own due time, after I have commanded and the commandment is broken.
Very plain warning there. I like that it says cut off in the Lord's time. We talked of this in Institute this past week. Blessings for obedience and punishment for disobedience will come. We don't know when or how, but we know that the Lord will follow through with what He has promised.
Doc&Cov 59:21
And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments.
This is one of my favorite gratitude scriptures. I've never really paid attention to the last phrase though. We offend God when we are not grateful, and acknowledge His part in our lives. But we also offend Him when we disobey Him.
Doc&Cov 82:10
I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.
The Lord has promised so much to us; if we obey, He is bound by His word to give us what He has promised. But if we don't obey, we are not entitled to a thing.
Doc&Cov 98:22
And again I say unto you, if ye observe to do whatsoever I command you, I, the Lord, will turn away all wrath and indignation from you, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.
Um, yeah--who wouldn't want this protection?
Doc&Cov 103:7
And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever.
Yep--another great promise that I certainly want!
Doc&Cov 105:6
And my people must needs be chastened until they learn obedience, if it must needs be, by the things which they suffer.
It isn't a situation that if we mess up and disobey, that's it. No. We always have the chance to repent and turn back to the Lord and His ways. To try to be obedient again. Sometimes chastening is what we need to be reminded that we are going the wrong way and doing the wrong things. The chastening helps to remind us what the right direction is. We always have the choice to obey, even if the choice is being made very far down the wrong end of the road. Obedience is going the right way along the road, no matter where we are on that road.
Doc&Cov 133:71
Behold, and lo, there are none to deliver you; for ye obeyed not my voice when I called to you out of the heavens; ye believed not my servants, and when they were sent unto you ye received them not.
I do not want this to be me. I don't want to be left on my own with no one to deliver because I wilfully disobeyed over and over again.
Doc&Cov 138:4
That through his atonement, and by obedience to the principles of the gospel, mankind might be saved.
The simplest of all the obedience scriptures.

Wonderful stuff, right? I love it!

No comments: