I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Gospel Message Day 108

Obedience, Part 5

More obedience scriptures from the Book of Mormon.

2 Nephi 31:7
Know ye not that he was holy? But notwithstanding he being holy, he showeth unto the children of men that, according to the flesh he humbleth himself before the Father, and witnesseth unto the Father that he would be obedient unto him in keeping his commandments.

The Lord, though perfect and righteous and immortal, was still obedient. He still subjected Himself to Heavenly Father's will in order to save each one of us. Best example ever.

Mosiah 2:32-33
But, O my people, beware lest there shall arise contentions among you, and ye listto obey the evil spirit, which was spoken of by my father Mosiah.
For behold, there is a wo pronounced upon him who listeth to obey that spirit; for if he listeth to obey him, and remaineth and dieth in his sins, the same drinkethdamnation to his own soul; for he receiveth for his wages an everlasting punishment, having transgressed the law of God contrary to his own knowledge.
We are to be obedient, but we need to be sure that we obey the right source. The evil spirit wants us to obey it. And its way will always appear or seem easier, more popular, or even more prosperous than the right way. But we've been told over and over what the right way is. We need to remain faithful to what we know is truth and righteousness, and obey the correct spirit.

Mosiah 5:8
And under this head ye are made free, and there is no other head whereby ye can be made free. There is no other name given whereby salvation cometh; therefore, I would that ye should take upon you the name of Christ, all you that have entered into the covenant with God that ye should be obedient unto the end of your lives.

I love this plea for obedience, because our salvation only comes through the Savior. (The whole chapter is on this, and it's great--I recommend it.) No other way for us to be saved. Our reliance on Him is necessary, but our obedience is voluntary. King Benjamin's pleas are probably the pleas of our Father as well: obey the Christ and not only be saved, but receive eternal exaltation as well.

Alma 3:26-27
And in one year were thousands and tens of thousands of souls sent to the eternal world, that they might reap their rewards according to their works, whether they were good or whether they were bad, to reap eternal happiness or eternal misery, according to the spirit which they listed to obey, whether it be a good spirit or a bad one.
For every man receiveth wages of him whom he listeth to obey, and this according to the words of the spirit of prophecy; therefore let it be according to the truth. And thus endeth the fifth year of the reign of the judges.
Another reminder that we must choose which side to follow, and that we will reap the rewards (whether good or bad) depending on which side we obey.

No comments: