I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Gospel Message Day 113

Personal Revelation, Part 4

So in the last 3 days I've attempted to explain this topic in my own words. But I also want to share some words from my Church leaders. They word things so perfectly and beautifully.

Here is a link for results from a search of "personal revelation" on lds.org.

I like this list that Elder Oaks gave in 2004 about the 8 purposes of revelation:
1.  Testify that Jesus is the Christ and that the gospel is true
2.  Prophesy
3.  Comfort
4.  Uplift
5.  Inform
6.  Restrain from doing something wrong
7.  Confirm a proposed action
8.  Impel one to action
For me, this explains how revelation has helped and continues to help me. Elder Cook gave a list about 7 ways to invite the Spirit.
1.  Pray
2.  Use the scriptures
3.  Bear and hear testimony
4.  Use worthy music
5.  Express love and gratitude to God and man
6.  Share spiritual experiences
7.  Perform and partake in priesthood ordinances
Again, for me, these are ways that I receive revelation.

The why and the how are important. But more important to me is the what: Personal revelation is my direct lifeline to my Heavenly Father and my Savior. It has no obstacles or interruptions in it, unless I place them there myself. But a clear connection through my faith and obedience will allow for direct aid from the truest source.

No comments: