I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Gospel Message Day 94

Christmas Scripture Advent Calendar, Part 27

Day 27 scripture - Alma 7:11, to which I have to add 12 & 13, since this is one of my favorite passages in all of scripture:
And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me.

All month I have been referring to the things that Jesus did for us while He was on earth, and continues to do for us. These verses sum up the Savior's missions, His reasons for coming. Usually people think of the Savior's sacrifice and Atonement as for our sins. But that wasn't all it covered. These verses tell us that He also took on all the pains we had from everything besides sin. We have pain from health problems, from from financial issues, from cruelty in this world. All kinds of trials are part of this life, and they afflict us in some way, to some degree. The Savior experienced and suffered through every pain and anguish so that at least one person would truly and fully understand what we each individually suffer in this life. Because He knows this, He can show mercy towards us. Because He knows this, He can run to our aid--and be there as soon as we need Him, in the ways that we need Him. Because He knows this, He can better be our advocate when we stand before the judgement bar of God after this life.

Because He knows, we have hope and joy.

They are not really Christmas songs, though I suppose any song about Christ applies for Christmas...and every day. And I know I share them frequently. But there is a reason I love them. They both come from the Joseph Smith oratorio by Rob Gardner, but they are the perfect songs about our Savior.

First, He will never leave us alone and comfortless.



And second, He has redeemed every single one of us.

No comments: