I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gospel Message Day 74

Christmas Scripture Advent Calendar, Part 7

Day 7 Scripture: Isaiah 40: 1-4. However, I think v. 5 should be included.

 Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God.
 Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned: for she hath received of the Lord’s hand double for all her sins.
 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
 Every valley shall be exalted, and every mountain and hill shall be made low: and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough places plain:
 And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.

I know two songs that go with this, so I'm going to post both. And only one is from Handel's Messiah.

"Every Valley"



"And the Glory of the Lord"



I like that the first verse assures comfort and then leads in to why we should find comfort: because we were promised a Savior. He would wash away our sins if we choose to repent. He would bring about our resurrection. He would be the means to our exaltation if we live righteously. And the promise of him coming and making those things possible has happened. We have every reason to rejoice and celebrate the baby born in Bethlehem who became the man at Gethsemane, on Calvary, and in the realms of glory.

The rest of the scripture speaks of his ability to do great things. I think the last verse refers to a future time, for there are still many today who do not know or believe in our Savior. But one day, they will not be able to deny who He is and all He has done for us. I look forward to that day--it will be nice not to have to disagree on the most vital part of who I am.


No comments: