I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, December 22, 2014

Gospel Message Day 89

Christmas Scripture Advent Calendar, Part 22

Day 22 scripture - Luke 2:4-7

And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judæa, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

I learned the neatest things about the history of swaddling clothes yesterday at church. When a couple was married, strips of cloth were wrapped around their hands (which is where "tying the know" comes from). The wife embroidered the family lineage on the swaddling bands. When the baby was born, those are the bands she wrapped the baby in.

Also, Bethlehem was where they raised the sheep to be sacrificed at the temple in Jerusalem. Those lambs that were intended for the sacrifice needed to be without blemish, but they were rocks about that could scuff them up. So their legs were wrapped in swaddling wraps to keep from getting any blemishes.

I adore the symbolism that we see everywhere relating to the Savior. We see it in stories from the Old Testament. And here we see it in how the Israelites already practiced. The Lamb of God as a baby was wrapped in swaddling bands just as the their sacrificial lambs were; and one day this Lamb--who was without blemish--would be sacrificed for us. The symbolism is amazing to me.

And the song I'm sharing goes with the last verse, in which we need to remember that it is up to us to make room for the Savior in our lives.

"Do You Have Room" Lyrics

They journeyed far, a weary pair
They sought for shelter from the cold night air
Some place where she could lay her head
Where she could give her babe a quiet bed

Was there no room? No corner there?
In all the town a spot someone could spare?
Was there no soul come to their aid?
A stable bare was where the family stayed.

Chorus:
Do you have room for the Savior?
And do you seek Him anew?
Have you a place for the one who lived and died for you?
Are you as humble as a shepherd boy
Or as wise as men of old?
Would you have come that night?
Would you have sought the light?
Do you have room?

A star arose, a wondrous light
A sign from God -- this was the holy night.
And yet so few would go to see
The babe who came to rescue you and me.

This child divine is now a King;
The gift of life to all the world He brings
And all mankind He saves from doom,
But on that night, for Him, there was no room

Chorus

Will you come tonight?
Will you seek the light?
Do you have room?

Lyrics and Music by Shawna Belt Edwards. Performed by April Meservy

No comments: