I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Gospel Message Day 81

Christmas Scripture Advent Calendar, Part 14

Day 14 scripture - 1 Nephi 11:18
And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.

The mother of the Son of God. Today I was in a small group that sang Mary's Lullaby (linked to on Part 1 of this Gospel topic). It's a song I've heard often, and been a part of at least two other times. I love the harmonies. But I also love how one sister pointed out to me later: it is the mother's perspective. Baby Jesus was born for all the world, but the night He was born, He was hers. Her firstborn child.

Our family once had a Christmas sampler cassette tape. And there was a song on there that I adored. I think it was called "My Child, My Love." I have spent two decades looking for a recording of that song. And sheet music for it. I have been unsuccessful. So the best I can do is share the lyrics here, which I memorized all those years ago. If there are flaws, they result from my hearing and my memory.

I cradled you in my arms
To give you to the world.
But they could not keep you,
They didn't know how.
And oh how I've missed you
And longed to see your face.
But I had to let you go
Back to His embrace.

My child. My love.
My life. My Son.
Baby of mine.
A king divine.
Back to your Father's arms.

For years you led the people,
Though some did turn on you.
But you loved them always
Like God loving you.
They day they took your life my son
I wish they'd taken me
I felt your pain
Looking on to Calvary.

My child. My love.
My life. My Son.
Baby of Mine.
A King divine.
Back to your father's arms.

Baby of Mine.
A King divine.
Back in your Father's arms.

But as I feel a song must be shared, here's another Mary one I love set to scenes from one of my favorite versions of the nativity story:

No comments: