I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Gospel Message Day 78

Christmas Scripture Advent Calendar Part 11

Day 11 scripture - Malachi 3:1
Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the Lord of hosts.

I believe the beginning of this verse is referring to the Savior's cousin, John the Baptist. Wasn't positive, because the second reference to the messenger confused me. So I looked up in the Institute manual to get some help with this verse.

Who Was the Messenger Sent to Prepare the Way of the Lord, and Who Was the Messenger of the Covenant?

One of the messengers sent to prepare the way of the Lord at His first coming was John the Baptist. John’s mission was performed in the spirit and power of the priesthood of Elias (see Luke 1:17). Elias is a name for a forerunner, one who goes before or prepares the way for someone or something greater. In that sense the Aaronic Priesthood is the priesthood of Elias because it prepares and qualifies individuals for greater blessings. Joseph Smith explained: “The spirit of Elias is to prepare the way for a greater revelation of God, which is the Priesthood of Elias, or the Priesthood that Aaron was ordained unto. And when God sends a man into the world to prepare for a greater work, holding the keys of the power of Elias, it was called the doctrine of Elias, even from the early ages of the world.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 335–36.)

I don't if I'm much the wiser. Is it saying that Jesus is an Elias of the covenant? (I assume the covenant or covenants we make in the Temple.) I'm not positive.

What I do know is the phrase "whom ye delight in." For that is quite true. I delight in my Savior and the hope, mercy, forgiveness, and love He gives me.

We sang this in our concert this week. I think it conveys the excitement and anticipation for what the Lord has brought us:



1. O come, divine Messiah!
The world in silence waits the day
When hope shall sing its triumph,
And sadness flee away.

Chorus: 
Dear Savior haste;
Come, come to earth,
Dispel the night and show your face,
And bid us hail the dawn of grace.
O come, divine Messiah!
The world in silence waits the day
When hope shall sing its triumph,
And sadness flee away.

2. O Christ, whom nations sigh for,
Whom priest and prophet long foretold,
Come break the captive fetters; 
Redeem the long-lost fold.

Chorus

3. You come in peace and meekness,
And lowly will your cradle be;
All clothed in human weakness
Shall we your Godhood* see. [we changed]

Chorus

No comments: