I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Gospel Message Day 69

Christmas Scripture Advent, Part 1 & 2

So, I think I'm going to take a break from drawing topics from the dog so I can focus on the best part about this season: the Savior! Always something I can talk about, because the Savior is my all and my everything. But I'll keep it a bit structured. I'm going to do the scripture advent I've been seeing others do. I'm starting a day late, so I'll do Day 1 & 2 together today. And what would Christmas be without music? I'm going to share a Christmas song/video each day as well. Here we go!

Here is the calendar I found to use:


Day 1 Scripture - Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. 

I have always wondered about Mary's part of this story. We don't worship Mary in our religion, but we certainly honor, respect, and revere her. She was pure, virtuous. Heavenly Father chose her to not just bring His Beloved Son into this world, but to raise Him. The responsibility for such a thing! He would not have picked just any woman. Mary surpassed much to be worthy of this. 

There is the song "Mary, Did You Know?" While I don't think she knew exactly what specifics would be part of her Son's life, I think she knew she was kissing the face of God. That He would save mankind. I think she understood the magnitude and significance and responsibility that came with her calling. Daunting and humbling. Yet also exciting and bringing hope. It is one of many reasons I love the movie The Nativity. I love how they portrayed Mary knowing what her baby would be coming to save.

I'm going to share a simple song that I love. I will be in a women's trio singing the SSA version of this in a couple of weeks. Couldn't find one with good sound that had all 3 parts. Sorry.



Day 2 Scripture - Isaiah 9:6:
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

I love this scripture! And the fabulous Handel song of it:



The joy that song conveys of how excited we should be that our Savior came for us! If one is not sure why the Savior is so amazing, just look at some of the names He is called by:

Wonderful - I'm quite a fan of that word. Full of wonder. Amazing. Marvelous. Awesome. They all go together.

Counsellor - Someone whom we can go to for guidance in any aspect of our life because no one knows better how to comfort, succor, lift, and guide us than He knows.

The mighty God - He created the world. He has power over all the things of the Earth. He had the power to atone for our sins, lay down his life at His own will, and then take up His body again. There is nothing mightier than that!

The everlasting Father - With His Atonement and Resurrection, He has bought our souls back from the adversary. Thus, He is the Father of our souls. For always, for ever. Everlasting.

The Prince of Peace - Peace is possible in this world because of our Savior. He knows how to comfort us, which can bring personal peace. He has atoned for our sins, which can bring everyone peace and hope to know they are not lost forever. And when He comes again, He will bring peace with Him.

Those very basic explanations of only a few of His names--is He not the very epitome of Awesome?! He is for me. Which is why I'm so grateful He made the choice and the sacrifice to come to this earth and be my Savior and Redeemer.

No comments: