I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Gospel Message Day 248

Atonement - Enabling Power, Part 4

In researching this topic to remind myself of what it is, what it can do, etc., I came across something that I don't think I've ever connected in my brain before. Enabling power is grace. The fabulous True to the Faith manual states:
The word grace, as used in the scriptures, refers primarily to the divine help and strength we receive through the Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ. The Apostle Peter taught that we should “grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ” (2 Peter 3:18).

A regular dictionary defines the religious aspect of grace as

a :  unmerited divine assistance given humans for their regeneration or sanctification
b :  a virtue coming from God
c :  a state of sanctification enjoyed through divine grace

a) correlates that we are receiving divine help. I often feel that I do not merit the Atonement's power in my life. But my Savior loves me. He loves each of us. And the Atonement was made for all. 

What I also love from the quote I found, it refers to the scripture about growing in grace. I think on that and I get two things from that. 

1) When we use grace, or the Atonement's enabling power, we are enabling ourselves to grow more in every aspect of life, especially to grow more like Christ. 

2) The enabling power itself can grow in our lives. It isn't just one level or size of power to access. The more we use it, the greater, the stronger, and the deeper it affects our lives and our efforts to live righteously and work toward returning to Heavenly Father.

No comments: