I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, May 29, 2015

Gospel Message Day 247

Atonement - Enabling Power, Part 3

I feel like I should give an example of when I have seen the Atonement's enabling power in my life. And I know that there are numerous examples. But I'm really trying to think of one that more obviously shows a power used, which was not of my own making. Before I ever started this blog, I went through one of the hardest trials of my life: I removed a spiritual wedge that I had had for 17 years. I held myself guilty and viewed myself as so low and awful for a very long time; this ordeal had very negatively affected my self-esteem over the years and at the time that I was removing the wedge, life couldn't have been more difficult with so many other things being thrown at me. At one point, one of my friends told me that I was a walking zombie. I was there. I was going though the motions I needed to in order to take care of the responsibilities I had. But my soul was in pain, and it just couldn't make it. Not on my own. I visited with my bishop, and his counsel was my first step in reaching out to my Savior. In feeling that power lift me out of that dark abyss of feeling lost, abandoned, confused, ashamed, and drowning. I had so many wonderful friends reaching out to me. I knew I was not alone. I knew they loved me. Their listening ears were very helpful. But that could only go so far. Their love, kindness, and friendship was not enough. That was not what could pull me through. Only Christ's Atonement has the power to help me forgive myself and begin healing.

The biggest, strongest personal experience lesson I have had about the Atonement came from this experience. It actually helped to solidify my testimony of the Atonement, which--ever since--I have known is the greatest blessing in my life.

No comments: