I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Gospel Message Day 225

Gifts of the Spirit Part 9

I'd say it's about time we come to a close with this topic. You get the idea with the spiritual gifts I've talked about, and what else is listed in the scriptures. But what I have loved the most over the years of learning about spiritual gifts was this talk by Elder Marvin J. Ashton which I read when I was preparing to teach about this topic years ago. This passage has strongly resonated with me ever since:

Taken at random, let me mention a few gifts that are not always evident or noteworthy but that are very important. Among these may be your gifts—gifts not so evident but nevertheless real and valuable.
Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.
We must remember that to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. It is our right and responsibility to accept our gifts and to share them. God’s gifts and powers are available to all of us.
When I first read this, I had never thought of other gifts beyond what was found quoted in the scriptures. Ever since, I have often reflected on what other spiritual gifts I am finding in myself, or seeing in others. I also like to consider what spiritual gifts I would like to have in my life so that I can pray for them and have the Spirit's help in developing them if I am blessed with them.

I love Elder Ashton's closing remarks in the talk, too--the whole reason we are blessed with spiritual gifts:

“And to every man is given a gift” (D&C 46:11). This is true. God help us to recognize, develop, and share our gifts that all may profit thereby is my earnest hope and plea.
God does live. He does bless us with gifts. As we develop and share our God-given gifts and benefit from the gifts of those around us, the world can be a better place and God’s work will move forward at a more rapid pace. 
P.S. "The gift to weep"--definitely a gift of mine, especially with this week. A gift I would love to have: being agreeable. Oh, and not passing judgement. Much work and prayer, but I believe the Lord would love to bless me with those.

No comments: