I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, May 10, 2015

Gospel Message Day 228

Mothers

We come to the end of another Mother's Day and I have survived. :-) I can see why some moms don't like this day. When kids overly praise and idolize and place them on pedestals. So distant and daunting. I don't want to be on a pedestal. I know I am full of weaknesses and I don't want someone to think I am perfect or better than I am. I can't live up to that right now. I want to work towards perfection, and can only get their with the help of my Savior. But if one has such high, unrealistic expectations of me, they're just going to be disappointed. And I don't like to disappoint anyone.

So we should be careful not to idolize our mothers. They may be angels for having put up with so much from the sometimes hell-ish children. ;-) They are amazing. They give us love we don't always deserve. They taught us, cared for us, guided us, and so much more. They are beyond amazing. But they are still human. And they don't need their stress level raised any more by unrealistic, overzealous, idolizing expectations.

With that being said, I want people to know that when I say my mother is the best in the world, I don't want them to think I'm raising her higher up than she is comfortable. What I'm saying is that a very wise Heavenly Father knew who the best mother would be for me, and He blessed me to have her.

No comments: