I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, February 16, 2015

Gospel Message Day 145

Service, Part 5

There are so many scriptures, quotes, articles, and Conference talks about service. You can find them on the LDS.org website and search for "service." Today I thought I'd share passages from a Conference talk by Elder Oaks. I always love how direct he is in his messages. It's on Unselfish Service. I think the most crucial part of service is that it is done with the right attitude. Because service is an extension of the Savior's love to God's children, and He would never give it begrudgingly, unwillingly, unhappily, grumpily, or any other negative way. He would give it selflessly. And with joy.

"Hundreds of thousands of faithful members participate in the unselfish service we call “temple work,” which has no motive other than love and service for our fellowmen, living and dead. The same unselfish service is given by legions of officers and teachers in our stakes and wards and branches. All are uncompensated in worldly terms but committed to Christlike service to their fellowmen."

The entire organization of the Church is run on service. I always loved that about the Church. There is no monetary gain that can be had from what we do. It is true service.

"A familiar example of losing ourselves in the service of others...is the sacrifice parents make for their children. Mothers suffer pain and loss of personal priorities and comforts to bear and rear each child. Fathers adjust their lives and priorities to support a family."

This is one of the very best examples of selfless service that any one could ever find.

"Our willingness to sacrifice and our skills in cooperative efforts come from our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, from the inspired teachings of our leaders, and from the commitments and covenants we knowingly make."

This is a good summary of how we are able to accomplish all the different acts of service that come our way in life.

"A selfish person is more interested in pleasing man—especially himself—than in pleasing God."

And I think this is the best explanation in knowing what would be considered selfless service, and what is selfish. If you are doing it for the praise of man, then it is not selfless. Simple definition.

Anyway. There's some food for thought. A bit of a cop out for today. Sorry. I couldn't think of any stories today. Hopefully tomorrow.

No comments: