I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Gospel Message Day 133

Prayer - Requests, Part 2

Some scriptures that I believe contain very important things to remember when petitioning the Lord for anything.

Helaman 10:5And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

Prayer is more about aligning our will to the Father's, not trying to change the Father's will to what we want. Heavenly Father always knows best. So this isn't Him trying to control our lives. It's Him wanting to give us the most and the best, which is impossible for us to see from where we are. Think of it like a 4 year old and a parent. The 4 year old thinks they know best. They are reveling in the discovery of their ability to do things for themselves. So they want to do it their own way. They are absolutely sure their way is best. But usually, is it really? Once in a while, yes, and a parent is proud that they are figuring things out on their journey. But many times, what the child wants and how the child wants to act isn't the best way. They're 4. They have much to learn. A loving parent knows what will be best for the child. And a wise parent won't take away the child's agency and force them to do it the parent's way. A wise parent will let the child learn from their own mistakes and hope that they will soon come to trust that their parent knows best. Heavenly Father is a loving and wise parent. I hope that I can be His trusting child, something I must work at each day.

3 Nephi 18:20And whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, which is right, believing that ye shall receive, behold it shall be given unto you.

Ask for what is right. Do so in Jesus' name. And believe you'll receive. Simple steps. Another scripture related to asking for things that are right is Doctrine & Covenants 8:10Remember that without faith you can do nothing; therefore ask in faith. Trifle not with these things; do not ask for that which you ought not.

And to ask in Jesus' name, we need to do so in the Spirit as it says in Doctrine & Covenants 46:30He that asketh in the Spirit asketh according to the will of God; wherefore it is done even as he asketh.









No comments: