I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Gospel Message Day 130

Healing

Ooh. I think I'm going to like talking about this one. Because I've experienced a ton of this, both spiritually as well as physically. And a song I was listening to on my iPod on my walk to Church today--and the part that stood out the most to me, goes perfectly with the theme. Both the spiritual and the physical aspect as well.

So, the song was "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." All 7 verses. Yep. Rarely is there a recording of all 7. Rarely do we sing all 7 even though they are so good. Here are the 7 for you to read and immerse yourself in the beauty of them all.

  1. 1. A poor, wayfaring Man of grief
    Hath often crossed me on my way,
    Who sued so humbly for relief
    That I could never answer nay.
    I had not pow'r to ask his name,
    Whereto he went, or whence he came;
    Yet there was something in his eye
    That won my love; I knew not why.
  2. 2. Once, when my scanty meal was spread,
    He entered; not a word he spake,
    Just perishing for want of bread.
    I gave him all; he blessed it, brake,
    And ate, but gave me part again.
    Mine was an angel's portion then,
    For while I fed with eager haste,
    The crust was manna to my taste.
  3. 3. I spied him where a fountain burst
    Clear from the rock; his strength was gone.
    The heedless water mocked his thirst;
    He heard it, saw it hurrying on.
    I ran and raised the suff'rer up;
    Thrice from the stream he drained my cup,
    Dipped and returned it running o'er;
    I drank and never thirsted more.
  4. 4. 'Twas night; the floods were out; it blew
    A winter hurricane aloof.
    I heard his voice abroad and flew
    To bid him welcome to my roof.
    I warmed and clothed and cheered my guest
    And laid him on my couch to rest,
    Then made the earth my bed and seemed
    In Eden's garden while I dreamed.
  5. 5. Stript, wounded, beaten nigh to death,
    I found him by the highway side.
    I roused his pulse, brought back his breath,
    Revived his spirit, and supplied
    Wine, oil, refreshment--he was healed.
    I had myself a wound concealed,
    But from that hour forgot the smart,
    And peace bound up my broken heart.
  6. 6. In pris'n I saw him next, condemned
    To meet a traitor's doom at morn.
    The tide of lying tongues I stemmed,
    And honored him 'mid shame and scorn.
    My friendship's utmost zeal to try,
    He asked if I for him would die.
    The flesh was weak; my blood ran chill,
    But my free spirit cried, "I will!"
  7. 7. Then in a moment to my view
    The stranger started from disguise.
    The tokens in his hands I knew;
    The Savior stood before mine eyes.
    He spake, and my poor name he named,
    "Of me thou hast not been ashamed.
    These deeds shall thy memorial be;
    Fear not, thou didst them unto me."
  8. Text: James Montgomery, 1771-1854
    Music: George Coles, 1792-1858, alt.
    Hymn sung prior to the martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith. See History of the Church, 6:614-15.

What stood out to me this time as I listened to it was Verse 5. The "wound concealed" today I saw in the emotional (and hence, for me, usually the spiritual) sense. I remember as I heard the words, I thought, "I could sure use some binding up for my broken heart today." Not that it is a severe break. I've had that. I've had it broken. I've had it completely shattered. I've even had it be completely gone and have to grow an entirely new one. Today, it's more like it is bruised. And all of my own fault, my own doing. But still, even when the culprit of the heart hurting is me (which it often is), I still need the Savior's help to heal it. Because the Savior knows best about how it got that way. And what I'm feeling and what kind and degree of pain I'm in. And He also knows how to help me fix it. Because He experienced it all before. No one knows better than He.

But I know that the "wound concealed" also refers to the temporal. The Savior experienced other pain besides that of the soul and the emotions. Some of the wounds are internal or personal, and some are ones that others can see. Some are mental, some are physical. Some times there is complete healing that takes place. He always heals me of the more immediate, short-lived ailments. He helps me know what to do to take care of myself when I have a cold or the flu, my headaches, or my stomach episodes.

Other times the healing is Christ's sustaining power of the Atonement to help us pull through life under the weight of the wound. In those cases, the healing is more a strengthening of the mind, body, and will power to keep pressing forward. In this life, I don't think I will ever be healed of my PCOS, or my crooked knees, or my psoriasis. One may limit a few things I can do. And usually two of them cause me great embarrassment. And one may keep me from having my own children. They're tough wounds to carry in this life, some days tougher than others. But the Savior supports me. He encourages me to deal with them as I can, and to do everything that I possibly can to live with, around, and through them.

He truly is the great Healer. Hilary Weeks definitely gets this aspect of the Savior. So many of her songs talk about Him healing us.

Here are two that come to mind for me. The first is so perfect with the lyrics:



The second is my own video. Yeah, I know. I share it so often. But there is a reason I made the video. A reason it reaches me every time:

No comments: