I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Gospel Message Day 60

Temple Ordinances, Part 7

One last ordinance to talk about--and it is my very favorite: sealings! We believe that families can be sealed (connected) for time and eternity in the temple. The definition of the verb "seal" is to "fasten or close securely." That is what we are doing to our family members--generations previous and generations to come--we are fastening or linking us together, securely.

I have yet to be sealed to my best friend, but I very much look forward to that day. Still, my parents were sealed to each other almost 41 years ago. I was born within that covenant, and thus I am eternally sealed to them and to my 7 siblings. Five of my siblings have been sealed to their spouses, so I am sealed to those in-laws and to the resulting 22 Niephews as well. On my mother's side, I am sealed to my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and more for many generations back.

My dad's side is a little different. Some have joined the Church, and some have not. To my knowledge, the Gospel was not introduced to dad's side until he and his brother were in high school. They joined the Church as well as their (step)grandfather (same ancestor whose grave visitation I mentioned a week ago). I have had a lot of work cut out for me in researching these family members and seeing if their temple work has been done. I want to be sure to get their work done for them, so they are able to choose if they want to accept those ordinances. I want to extend the possibility of forever families to all that I can.

This Primary song has always been one that I love.


Of course, over the last few years the 2nd verse has been a bit difficult to sing. My sister and I joked recently that they should write a 3rd verse for those of us in the unexpected, unplanned, unwanted mid-single part of life. But the sentiment is still there--I am still preparing "most carefully so I can marry in God's temple for eternity," even if they aren't quite my early years any more. :-)

After the Gospel (or maybe as part of it), my family is my everything. I know no greater joy than to know that I belong to my family forever.

With such an ordinance that brings such happiness, I don't think it is any wonder that I love to perform this ordinance for the deceased. Bringing other families together for eternity--no joy matches that! And it reminds me of my eternal connections while bringing more hope and anticipation for when my turn will come to marry my best friend for eternity.


No comments: