I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Friday, October 31, 2014

Gospel Message Day 37

Exaltation, Part 3

For us to obtain exaltation, there are certain ordinances we must receive. To quote the Gospel principles manual:
  1. 1. 
    We must be baptized.
  2. 2. 
    We must receive the laying on of hands to be confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
  3. 3. 
    Brethren must receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and magnify their callings in the priesthood.
  4. 4. 
    We must receive the temple endowment.
  5. 5. 
    We must be married for eternity, either in this life or in the next.
Just gotta say I love how that last part makes sure to include "in this life or the next." And that phrase applies for all the ordinances. Because as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we believe that everyone has a chance to choose for themselves if they want to receive these ordinances, even those who died without knowing there was a choice to be made.

That is what we do in temples. We do vicarious ordinance work for those who have died. We are giving them a chance to have their own exaltation. That's what I did this morning. I went to the temple and performed one of those ordinances for a woman who was born in 1889. It seemed fitting to do service for the deceased on the day of the dead. Last time I was able to do that, I acted proxy for my great-grandmother and was sealed (ie., established the relationship for eternity) to her mother. It is a very sweet work to do when it is for my family--especially for a grandmother whom I knew and loved very much.

Exaltation for the living and the dead eventually has to have a part that takes place only in temples. It is no wonder that I find my greatest joy within temples, working towards my exaltation and however many of my Father's children that I can bring along the way.

No comments: