I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Monday, October 6, 2014

Gospel Message Day 12

Priesthood Blessings

Wow--where do I even begin with this topic? This one may have to span a few days, for there are many different kinds of Priesthood blessings, as well as blessings of the Priesthood. By that I mean there are blessings that Priesthood holders give and there are blessings that come because of the Priesthood (which can be and are vast and innumerable and unlimited).

Today, I'm just going to say say a little about one of the kinds of blessings Priesthood holders provide--that of comfort. I have been greatly blessed by the blessings of comfort I have received. I have asked for one when I was in financial difficulties. It was not meant to solve the problem. It was meant to comfort me during a time when I was quite stressed and not sure how I was going to make it from one day to the next. I was filled with peace, and reassurance.  Understanding friends accompanied and soon a great branch president and his wife became my life-savers when they offered me a place to live.

I asked for one right before I was about to take a step in a relationship. I was nervous about taking it, for there was the possibility that my choice would the friendship that we had created. But the blessing helped me feel more at peace the my choice, and I followed through with my decision. Years later we are still good friends.

I asked for one when I was brand new children's librarian whose supervisor went out on maternity leave which left me "over" 3 branches right at the beginning of Summer Reading--knowing absolutely nothing of what to do! A blessing of comfort and counsel, plus some amazing co-workers, helped me through that.

I asked for one only a few months ago when I was going though an emotional upheaval that I couldn't make heads or tails of--as to what I was experiencing and why. The blessing brought me peace, and reminded me that I was an intelligent Daughter of God. That I had my own agency and I knew how to work through things like that. That I also could rely on the Spirit to guide me in the right direction as I tried to discern my thoughts and feelings.

Blessings of comfort have always done just that--comforted me. They have brought me peace, clarity of mind, guidance and reassurance that all will be well. But mostly, they have never failed to remind me that my Heavenly Father loves me.

No comments: