I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow him in faith. I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor his name. I'll do what is right; I'll follow his light. His truth I will proclaim.

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

I Know that My Redeemer Lives!

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Gospel Message Day 25

Mid-singles Conference report, Part 2

I figured there was plenty more that I could say of some things I learned at the Conference this weekend. And as I have to miss the closing fireside for my Sterling Singers choir practice, blogging about it seems to work for keeping me in the spirit of it all. Not to mention that I feel like if I don't write about the things I've learned and felt, I'm just putting all that I learned immediately on the shelf.

The opening session speaker (Bob Kittell)  talked of living waters. He mentioned 3 things about living waters:
1) Living water heals us through the power of the Holy Ghost
2) Living water nourishes and sustains us
3) Living water brings peace and joy

I really liked that he focused on using gratitude to help us be more useful as a fountain of living water that can give to others. It's hard to give when you have nothing inside to draw from. I have found that the best way to build up what's inside is by looking at what you do have and expressing gratitude for it. I loved the exercise that he had us do where we ended up thinking of 20 things we were grateful for within a couple of minutes. It's the shorter version of what he does with students in getting them to think of 100 things in about 5 minutes. I think it's a brilliant exercise and I must try it once in a while.

Other gems:
*In the introductory, um, welcome, we were counseled: Be the one who says "Hello." Be the one who loves first. Definitely something I can always work on being better at.
*"If you're not going to listen, don't ask anymore." From a story he shared, but I feel it goes very well in relation to how we are when we ask the Lord for help. Do we ignore answers that we don't like, or don't want to hear? So why do we keep asking if we aren't willing to the answer he gives us? Or why do we keep asking for an answer ignoring the scriptures that are filled with answers if we'll but look there.
*"Let it go--I promise there are better things to come." In relation to being upset over difficult things in our lives.

No comments: